Friday, March 22, 2013

Chapter 5: The Test

I wouldn't call the sixth grade a happy thing to go through. Especially when people treat you like a piece of trash since you are a under class men. Like who really cares about that? I thought those kind of grudges were over. But eight hours of intense school work and social life is just the start . . .  well, for me.
I arrived at the J.U.S.S base more tired than usual because all my teachers decided to throw pop quizes in my face. Not literally but close.
"Hello Elysea, how was your day?" asked Heather Downy, who is the registration person for the J.U.S.S.
Signing in my name, I said,"More tiring than usual."
"Really?" Heather said, while giving me a sheet of paper with a number on it and a safety pin.
"We are having testing today?" I ask confused. I am totally not prepared.
"Why of course. We have tests every month."
"Completely forgot. Can they give me grace?"
"No, get moving." Then she went back to her computer.
I walked off into the locker room and changed into my J.U.S.S uniform. The uniform is a dark green heavy duty polo shirt with lots of pockets and badges that I earned. Plus trusty durable khakis, also in dark green. I laced up my combat boots then threw my school clothes into my locker. I started to pull my hair into a ponytail when I heard someone mutter,"Afternoon,Elysie."
I turned around and saw Chelsie sulking by. I let my shoulder-length strawberry blond hair drop to my shoulders and walked over to her.
"I am really sorry about yesterday, Chelsie. I was just mixed up inside that I decided to get mad at you," I said. Chelsie turned around and said,"Yea, you are sorry,I get that. But what are you going to about your dad?"
I just stood there, looking straight into her eyes because I had nothing to say.
"Well, a couple of paranormal things has been happening and I don't know why these things are appearing to me," I said.
"Like what?" Chelsie asked.
I looked around the locker room and saw more girls coming in.
"Um, I don't think this is a good place right now to talk about it. I will tell you later in a emptier place," I said. Chelsie nodded and started fixing her hair. After we both pulled and gelled our hair into neat ponytails (J.U.S.S dress code), we went to the assembly room that looks like a super high tech vault. Pretty modern even though we are a old training facility. (We like to keep up to date)
" I don't see Melana anywhere," I whispered to Chelsie, while she was pinning my number to my back. Then someone tapped my shoulder and I jumped.
"My my, number 24 and 18 are getting along today, eh?" Melana said, in a deep voice.
"Melana!" I said, happily.
"Man, I gotta say, you can break some serious ice," Chelsie teased.
We all started to silently laugh until the executive director of our base walked to the podium.
"Greetings, everyone. Today is our level testing. Since we saw a lot of improvement last month, we are very intrigued on what's going to appear this month. I hope you are all prepared with tech device knowledge and combat skills. This month we will only promote the top five Junior Elites. Be prepared and good luck," the director said.
"Well, we shouldn't be too worried about promotion because we are still young," I said.
"For you, you are way under the age limit," Chelsie said, grumbling. She always has had a hard time trying to pass testings. Mostly because she freaks out halfway through.
"When is your birthday,Elysie?" Melana asked.
"July 4th. I can't wait until I turn 13, when you get all the awesome opportunities," I replied.
"You might past the test before your birthday," Chelsie grumbled.
"Yea, you are one of the most talented people I know in this division," Melana said.
"Ha! As if. I failed three tests," I said.
"Like the time when you did dagger combat testing and you completely lost your grip in offense?" Chelsie teased.
"That was a slip up, my hands were sweaty," I said. I never liked the idea of swords, they were too scary . . . I rather use a gun.
"Well see you guys back here later!" Melana said. Then we split up.
First up was technology. We are tested in hacking into files and killing bugs or viruses manually. We then have to write a report of what we we did, how we did it, and what you found. If you passed above 90%, you get tested raw on Air Force monitors that we are never trained on. Usually only one person passes it every six months. Its just to see if we can guide ourselves through unknown systems. Sorry if I am bragging but I am the genius at tech.
I sat in front of a computer and picked up the paper that was given to me.
Hack into a Bank of America account without being traced.
Username: roLickney
Writ down description on what is in the account, once hacked.
I looked simple, so I started hacking. 
I worked on various passwords but could not find the right one. Growing desperate, I clicked on history. I smiled when "roLickney" used his account yesterday. I clicked on it and it seemed that he put the 'remember my password' mode because for a millisecond, I saw the real password. 
I typed in the password: canada.
The account information showed.
"Woah," I muttered.
The person had 45,000,000 dollars in his bank account. I wrote on the paper.
45 million dollars in account. No account usage tracked. Very fishy.
Password: canada
I x'd out of the window, got up, and walked over to the supervisor to turn in my paper. 
He throughly read my paper and lead me towards the hall. 
"You will go to the third floor and report to the supervisor in the head of AF monitor section," he said.
I nodded with a mischievous grin. I am ready to tackle this one. 
I reported in and walked to the waiting room at the end of the hall. A few kids were already waiting. I sat down next to some girls. The supervisor walked in and called our the pairs in which you are partnered with. I was paired up with a girl named McKenna.
"Hi! I am Elysea Pan. You can call me Elysie," I said, giving her my hand.
"McKenna Anderson," she said, shaking my hand. McKenna was a somewhat tall, skinny girl with mouse blonde hair and stormy gray eyes.
"Are you good at technology?" I asked.
McKenna just shook her head. I nodded.
"If you need any helo just ask me. I am the genius at tech," I said. She grinned sheepishly.
The read light above the monitor entrance door turned green, a group of kids walked out with defeat in their eyes.
"Tough?" I asked.
"You won't be so happy when you get in there," one of the boys said.
I laughed sarcastically, of course McKenna stayed silent. I walked in and took a seat in front of the far side monitors. The radio came on when we all settled in our positions, saying,"All jets are go for launch. Check your monitors and signal a go."
"McKenna, are you good to go?" I asked.
She gave me a thumbs up, looking nervous. I put on the earpiece and said,"We are go for launch. Ready when you are," I said.
Then my earpiece sounded a sound of a jet taking off. "They took off," I said to McKenna.
She just smiled nervously.
I shot my eyes to the radar. No MIGs in range so far. I glanced at McKenna, her eyes darting back and forth.
"Your supposed to watch the radar and the jet body system, to make sure everything is okay,"I said.
"Okay," Melana mumbled. 
Mysteriously, engine 1 went out. Looks like it may have been shot.
"MS13, your engine 1 is down,"I said.
I checked the radar again. Something is fishy . . . there are no signals of any other MIGs in the air space. 
"I see 5 MIGs. Coming fast and firing,"said the radio.
"It could be ghost jets,"McKenna muttered.
"What?"
"Ghost jets. They have some special system that makes them completely invisible, virally."
I nodded with a impressed face. 
I went back to the radio and said,"MS13, you have permission to fire."
"Roger that."
I started working on engine 1. 
"I am going to see what's wrong. You just keep your eyes on the jet body," I said. McKenna nodded.
I started clicking engine 1 and a new window popped up. Engine 1 had serious internal damage, far from fixing. Darn, another destroyed not to add, expensive American weapon. I probably be fired right away.
"Too many. Retreat?" suggested the radio.
I thought hard. Retreat means that I failed.
"Um, I got a procedure. Just try to slow them down." I said.
"You got one?" McKenna asked. 
"Well, if we retreat we fail the test. I am not failing another pointless test that wasting time out of my day,"I said. I then thought hard for a long minute. Only a minute . . . or more, I don't exactly keep track of time.
"I want you to get them off your tail and uh, get in front of them and fire your missiles, steer clear," I said.
"How?"
"Death fall,"I said. Death fall is when a jet rises high, then falls back, going upside down. 
"Are you crazy?" McKenna said.
"What if it works?"
McKenna shook her head, clearly does not want to trust me and thinks that I am blithering idiot, well I am not.
"Roger that," the radio said.
I waiting impatiently. This is like doing Cheep Cheep Chance in a Mario game.
"How's the body?" I asked.
"It's fine, so far," answered McKenna.
We waited for several more long minutes . . . or seconds. Probably it was a bad idea.
"Left wing is banged up, but it's still workable,"McKenna said.
"All down. Retreat. It was a pleasure flying with you," radio said.
I gave a McKenna my 'I told you' grin.
"All students out,"announced the overhead.
The other students got up looking defeated. Me? I beamed the entire way out. Then I felt a tap on my shoulder.
"I need you in my office, Pan," said a gruff voice.
I turned around an I saw the Director. We have not name for him, well actually I never bother finding out so he is just called the "Director".
I followed the almost 7  foot tall man in a black suit that need to grow hair.
We walked into a well kept business office.
"Sit down, please," the Director said, gesturing to the chair opposite of him.
I slowly sat down. Why did the Director ask me in the middle of a test, not to mention Rotation 1.
"You have shown tremendous progress this month. We are very impressed by all your skills and learning abilities. Quite rare since you are at such a young age," said the Director.
I nodded, trying to figure out what he was going to say next.
"Pan, we will like to promote you to the Elite Secret Service as the youngest official agent," said the Director.
I completely blanked out and unable to speak.
"I know you are quite surprised since you only been in the Junior Elite level for six months. But your amazing way of handling technology is very useful," he continued.
"But sir, I am not the best at combat,"I said.
"We have many agents in that area, but we are putting you in the tech area."
I nodded.
The Director reached under his desk and pulled out a badge with a recent Junior Elite picture of me. He stood up and gave me his hand.
"You are officially Agent 99," the Director announced.
We shook hands and I took the badge.
"You are done for today," the Director said, returning to his desk.
" I am not done with testing," I said.
"You no longer need testing," the Director said.
I smiled and walked out. No more testing! I, Elysea Pan, Agent 99 of the U.S. Elite Secret Service.
I couldn't help but smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment